this is the "OPEN" Blog for raversdigest.com if you want to add anything to it, just send an email to : raversdigest@gmail.com it will post automatically and instantly !!! you can post anything you want such as upcoming events, words of wisdom, or anything else. any posts that are way out of line will get removed, but otherwise they will stay there forever. have fun !!

Tuesday, March 4, 2008

SAM'S DUBSTEP EXPERIENCE

The Discovery of DUBSTEP


Mark-"Sam I don't know what happened to Jungle. I walk into a Jungle
room these days and it is nothing but candy kids. "

Sam-"Mark I figured out what happened to Jungle: DUBSTEP"

Presents were unwrapped and all hands were shook. I finished my third
beer and I was off to Mark's. I wasn't going to go unless Mark would
and something made him decide to go and see what this Dubstep that
stole Jungle was. Additionally he offered to pay my way in and the gas
in return for driving. Upon arrival, Christy was going to come too but
then she decided otherwise. Here it was again, a Ravers Digest
adventure. (On this night, the Ravers Digest Brownies). Mark clutched
the Garmin GPS and we were off. My mental map would prove more
dangerous as it conflicted with the Garmin's maternal voice.

The distances and commands for left and right were annoying and
confusing. I prefer names of street signs. I take echo park ignoring
the commands and nearly slam into the back of a Chrysler not expecting
the sudden stop of la exits.

But back on topic. We were going to go see what this Dubstep would be
like. From the onset it was just going to be another drum and bass
party. According to Wiki, it is a Reggae and Drum n Bass combination
that originated in London.

It was like Jungle but missing a beat. A beat of silence that like
Mark said made it very sexy. It is that kiss and take away too it,
right before the lips touch again.

"I didn't expect to see you here. You don't remember me, the after party."
"I remember, you're Karin"

I walked to the front and stood between the speaker colonnades. The
blue lights in the back and spotlights lit up the shaved pale DJ
Plastician (aka Plastic Man) in a soft glow. You could see his tables
and he controlled them with masterful ease. Silver headphones on his
head, spun as he moved from table to table. Confidently sliding
controls, the bass just grew and the music sent people into a frenzy.
Its the way the bass groaned and moaned, accentuated by the high hat
and the melody.

The music was intoxicating, like a passionate relationship with its
powerful highs and lows, its slow moments and fast. It was as if
Plastician was making love right there on the tables. He grabbed the
mike and I couldn't tell a word he said through his cockney-sounding
accent.

Dubstep was fresh with the feeling of something new, something
interesting, provocative and yet still familiar of the days bonding
over jungle beats.

It was the fact that it sounded so different at times and the same, so
rare it is like catching a child as he walks, a music that has just
been born and is struggling into the world and showing its first signs
of maturity, with the vibrancy and vigor of youth and energy. danke
suji. It won't be like this next year, or the year after. I wish I
had seen it in 2000, but I'm glad it was something I saw yesterday.

I looked to the side and he was talking to some girls. I walked over
and they wanted me to take a picture, I half looking said say cheese
and gave the camera back. I didn't want to muddy the experience by
emptiness.

We came into the next party, in the middle of skid row on a rooftop
parking lot. Three tents of House, Techno and Drum n Bass. The feeling
was that of a junior high dance. I wanted to leave but there was no
where to go. I couldn't dance, I could barely move. My head was in a
plastic bag and all I could do was observe. (Brownies??) I would stand
for what seemed like an eternity and move to another spot. I didn't
want to be there with those people. Especially not after the
experience of an hour ago marred by the complete lack of sincerity
lack of soul of this cold place and alienating space.

Sam #8